Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cats and Stereotypes

Hey there,

So it's April, and for once I got through April's Fools Day unscathed! Noone pulled any pranks this year it seems, noone even remembered! It is one day where I'm sincerely grateful I live alone and don't have any roomates to put plastic wrap on the toilet seat or change my shampoo for blue dye. I mean, waking up with your hand in a bowl of hot water and damp sheets may be amusing for them, but it also means you get to spend the entire day at the laundromat (my least favourite place on earth, second only to the suburbs of any city).

With the turn of the new month, I've also moved into a brand new flat! I have (in the following order of importance); two balconies, amazingly beautiful colourful painted walls, a clawfoot bathtub and a clothesline! Yes, I have a clothesline. Which if any of you have ever heard or read my poem "Sundress", you will know that hanging laundry on a clothesline wearing a summer dress is basically my idea of domestic heaven. Even if I don't live on a farm yet, I feel as if I'm one step closer. Not to mention I basically scored Montreal real estate heaven- an affordable two bedroom flat on the Plateau near a metro stacked with more charm and storage space than I know what to do with. I would be much more gleeful right now if I didn't immediately come down with a flu the day I moved in. You win some, you lose some. In a few days I will be healthy again and I'll still live here. With my cat.

Oh yeah, did I mention I adopted a cat?!

Yes, after a lifetime with a giant phobia of felines I now cohabitate with one. It's a long story which basically involves my friend guilting me into taking Daisy home for fear of her being sent to the pound and getting murdered. I mean, I'm scared of them but I don't hate them! You can't let her die! So now I fulfill every stereotype of a queer woman I can think of. Which is sort of great. Want to know what I did tonight?! I watched Gossip Girl (yes, I love bad TV) while soaking in my clawfoot bathtub, eating Strawberry Haagen-Daas and talking to my cat.

Its a good life. Here's a video from my Toronto Poetry Slam feature in October about how I refuse to call myself an adult. It's called "Dirty Laundry".

Have a good Wednesday everyone, sleep tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxOqwKNoJM

1 comment: