Friday, December 28, 2012

Great Expectations

It's been awhile. How was Christmas for ya'll? Mine was just dandy, with my mother and my best friend occupying my home, complete with turkey dinner and present opening on Christmas day. I went to midnight mass with some friends on the 24th at the Basicalla downtown and it was beautiful. I missed my grandmother a whole bunch but got some pictures of her that my mother brought with her from Alberta. I don't think I've ever had such a picture perfect holiday. It was the first in a long time with my mother, and it was good. That said, I'm thrilled to have my quiet home to myself again.

Life goes back to normal on Monday. But for now I'm enjoying the 45+ cm is snow that dumped in Montreal yesterday and relaxing in coffee shops.

New Years Eve is coming up and I don't think there is a holiday I enjoy less (except maybe V-day). It's mostly due to the heedy expectations the evening brings. Just think about how many romantic comedies arrive at their happy ending at a New Years Eve gala. Off the top of my head: When Harry Met Sally and... er, well you get my drift. The pressure of being at the right place in the right attire at the stroke of midnight holds so much hype. I've had some good times on Nye for sure but never have I experienced the ultimate magic that the movies and television portray. But then again isn't that the way it always is? We seem to be fed these grandiose expectations of moments by the media that never materialise in real life and so we find ourselves perpetually disappointed. This applies to all holidays, in particular Christmas, New Years Eve and of course the dreaded Valentines Day.

I'll admit I'm a sucker for it all. I have a soft spot for romantic idealism, things like the big gesture and the kiss at the perfect moment. Maybe I've watched too many rom-coms (which, if you know me at all, is very likely. I have an aversion to horror and thrillers, ok. Don't judge me.) but I get all worked up about these days. Still, the older I get the less I believe in happy endings, even if I'd like to. Reality has a way of creeping in and clubbing that idealism like a tiny baby seal (too soon?). I no longer believe that the person who doesn't call me is just too busy but really does like me. I no longer fantasize about running into my ex when I look so amazing that they suddenly realize they made a huge mistake and beg for another chance. Rejection might be tough to swallow but tougher still is constant disappointment. I'd rather take the hit to my ego and move on than pretend I'm going to get a movie worthy ending.

The truth is this: NYE is just another night. Don't spend more money than you can afford on a new dress or shirt, don't sweat it if you don't have a date to the party, and most of all leave when you're tired. Don't stay at the party until four AM waiting for the miracle to happen. You might only get a bad headache and a day in bed for your trouble. Dance when you want to, go where you want to (even if it's not the 'coolest' place to be) and enjoy your friends. I know that's what I'm gonna do, anyway. This year I'm going to leave the expectations to my dream world and take the night for exactly what it is; another night. Oh, and party my face off sober style because that's how I roll.

Dance floor, here I come. Party safe everyone.

Here's something fun to listen to/ watch while you wait for the new year:

No comments:

Post a Comment