Thursday, March 8, 2012

Moins Feministes?

Happy International Women's Day!

I think, as a rule, all women should get the day off work today. Imagine what would happen if we all went on strike. It would be like that show on that reality network where all the women left town together for a month (I have absolutely no idea what the name was but you know the one I'm talking about...), except on a global scale.

Call me crazy, but I bet we could get some change done then!

Anyways, enough of that rant.

On another note, I managed to write a poem today during a smoke break at work. Its going up pretty raw and unedited, but it was inspired by a headline I saw on the subway this morning on my way to the daily grind. Enjoy friends. Oh, and how excited are we that tomorrow is Friday?! I know I am. *Takes a giant deep breath*

Moins Feministes

This morning
A news headline asked me
Why there are less feminists today.

Where did they go?
Is the movement buried in the same graveyard
As scrunchies and Pogs?
I'm only left wondering
If there are no feminists
Than where have all the women gone?

Why is the media so eager
To say there is no more need
For women to be radical
When we are still shamed
For the cut and colour of our clothes
For the gender, numbers, and frequency of our lovers

When the world "slut" is still said lightly
As a "joke"
And not given a second thought

Friends,
We still live in a world
Where women's bodies are considered public property
Where boys are still taught
That women are just too emotional
And scientists still examine
The differences between our brains
To prove that men are, in fact, more rational

So my question today
Is not where have all the feminists gone
But why are they still trying to convince us
That the change is over
That we have everything we asked for
Because we can vote, drive, and work.

When every day
Girls go missing along
forgotten stretches of highways
And 1 in 3 are abused
Before the age of 18
How can they tell us
That we no longer live in a chauvinist society?

All I know
Is that today
Its time to celebrate our sisters, mothers, lovers, and friends,
In hopes of the day
When gender won't define
How safe someone is treated
Or where they can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment