Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Preconceptions

Today was a little bit hard, in terms of my job kind of took over. What a stressful day! But anyway, here goes nothing... #3 of 7. Please feel free to leave me feedback in the comments section.

Preconceptions

Since I was a child
I've had questions punctuating my footsteps
Like a drummer drawing a map
On the baseline of a high note,

I've wondered
Why my head always feels
Like I'm hanging upside down on a tree branch
Whey they always called me a dreamer
Why my mother always told me to be careful
Walking to the corner market and back
I do not recall
My brother's being told this

I wanted to know
Why noone called me pretty
Wearing overalls and skinned knees

Why 'tough' and 'strong'
Were only words to describe boys
Why my mind learned to associate dresses with weakness
It was implied
In the subtle disapproval of my calluses
And my ambivilence towards dolls
That my gender should determine my personality

So I wondered
Why god would give me legs to run
Hands to work
And a mouth to speak
If I was meant to be small, still, and silent

I couldn't understand
But I knew that my pulse rested in my heart
And there were answers to be found there
So I listened to the drumming of instincts
And found a path along the baseline
Of its high notes

Here, my callused feet and stained hands
Are blessings to be seen,
I am pretty in my dirty jeans
I am strong in my sundress

I am more than my anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment